When you think of Peru, what comes to your mind first? The Inca trail? Machu-Picchu? If yes, then let us tell you that there are lot more point of interests in Peru. The archaeological sites of Salineras de Maras and Moray in the Sacred Valley is of utmost importance. Want to know more? If yes, then these facts about Moray and Salineras de Maras are going to grab your interest:
1. In Moray, you will find a circular depression of concentric steps, similar to the greek amphitheaters. These circular steps are connected with six more elliptical steps.
2. The purpose behind creating these circular steps are uncertain. The widely agreed view is that the Inca’s used these circular depressions for agricultural research. Each step is oriented with the sun and wind in a way creating a huge difference in temperature between each level. It is believed that the Incas studied the effect of climatic conditions on crops here.
3. One of the most striking features of these circular steps is the difference in temperature. The difference in temperature between the topmost and the innermost stair can go up to 15 °C.
4. The drainage system of this place is also interesting. The lowest level of the steps never gets flooded even during the heaviest rainfall. It is argued that this step is made of porous rock, that allows effective drainage of water.
5. Salineras de Maras is popular for its pond of salts. The people collect salt in the small ponds by evaporating the salt water emerging from the underwater stream. The water emerges from a stream which is then directed to a network of channels distributing them over the ponds. These ponds are 12 feet wide and 30 centimeters in depth. The flow of water is closely monitored by the workers. They collect the salt crystals as it accumulates on the surface.
6. These ponds of salt can be accessed by any member of the community who wants harvest salt. Large ponds are allocated to large families. While the new members of the community are given the ponds that are a bit far from the neighborhood. Take Maras Moray Salineras full day tour to explore these places.
Traveling to Moray and Salineras de Maras can be a rewarding experience for you. If you are looking for Maras Moray Salineras tours then you can check our Maras Moray Salineras tour packages. Book your tour with us today.
Interested in Luxury Tours? But worried about Budget? Enquire with us, we’ll Help you!